Joshua Eyes Return After Devastating Year
After a tragic end to 2025, Anthony Joshua now works toward a comeback. The former heavyweight world champion suffered personal and professional blows last year.
In December, Joshua faced internet sensation-turned boxer Jake Paul in one of the decade’s most controversial fights. He broke Paul’s jaw with a viral knockout, signaling a strong start for 2026.
Shortly after, Joshua endured a tragic car accident that claimed the lives of two teammates. The incident left his future in boxing uncertain.
Family Concern and Changed Plans
Initially, a family member revealed that Joshua told his relatives he would not fight again. Fortunately, he appears to have reconsidered his decision.
Fans in the UK have long demanded a showdown between Joshua and Tyson Fury. After Joshua’s fight with Paul, the matchup seemed possible early in 2026.
Fury Books April Return
Tyson Fury confirmed his comeback against Arslanbek Makhmudov on April 11. This announcement shifted Joshua’s potential path to a clash with the Gypsy King.
Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, confirmed that the former champion now targets a July return to the ring.
“Originally, the plan was for Joshua to fight in March and then face Tyson Fury in August,” Hearn told Boxing Scene. “That’s not happening. He’s not fighting Fury next. He will return, I believe, in late summer, but he’s not yet ready for camp. He’s resting and preparing. I’m looking at options for a July comeback, but we’ll only know when he returns to camp in the next few weeks or a month.”
Fury Fight Still on the Table
Hearn confirmed that the all-British fight remains a possibility. “We are open to a Tyson Fury fight, but it will likely happen at the end of the year, or maybe early 2027,” he said.
Joshua’s fans can now anticipate a mid-year return, with hopes of a high-profile matchup later in 2026 or early 2027.
